203 Water Street is a three storey brick Commerical Venacular style building located in downtown St. John’s, NL. This structure is part of the municipally designated block of buildings 187-205 Water Street. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
City of St. John's Heritage Building, Structure, Land or Area
This building has been designated for its aesthetic and historical values 203 Water Street is aesthetically valuable as an example of a turn of the 20th century mercantile/residential building in downtown St. John’s. The first storey of this building was traditionally used for mercantile premises. The additional storeys were used as residential space, usually for the merchant’s family. The use of the building as a commercial building is evident through the traditional store front that features large plate glass windows with fascia board and a recessed doorway. Futhermore, the brick construction of the 203 Water Street is typical for downtown St. John’s buildings built after the fire of 1892. This building like all the other in this block also feature some elements of classical revival such as pediments, pilasters, and arched windows. 203 Water Street is historically valuable because of its associations with the Kelly family. John and Francis Kelly operated the first dime store in St. John’s in this building, which was commonly known as the Five and Ten. Source: City of St. John’s Archives property file, 203 Water Sreet, the Taj Mahal.
Character Defining Elements
All elements of the Commerical Venacular style, including: -brick construction; -large plate glass windows with fascia board; -size, shape, decoration and placement of windows; -two, one storey bow windows with pediments and sun motif, pilasters, dentils and fascia; -stone pilasters on the corners of the building; -original double door entrance with sidelights and transom; -a second recessed enterance with transom and moulding; and -moulding in line with bow windows on second floor.
Two, one storey bow windows with pediments and sun motif, pilasters, dentils and fascia. Stone pilasters on the corners of the building A second recessed entrance with transom and moulding Double doors at the main entrance Moulding in line with bow windows on second floor
Location and History
City of St. John's
203 Water Street
1892 - 1893
Rectangular Long Façade