24 Circular Road is a two-and-one-half storey, wooden dwelling built in the Queen Anne Revival style of architecture. Surrounded by mature trees it overlooks Rennie’s Mill Valley at the rear, and historic Circular Road at the front. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
City of St. John's Heritage Building, Structure, Land or Area
24 Circular Road has been designated a Municipal Heritage Building for its aesthetic and historical values. 24 Circular Road is aesthetically valuable because it is a good example of the Queen Anne Revival style of architecture. Painted in a traditional yellow ochre, this dwelling house has many elements of this style. The overall shape of 24 Circular Road is typically Queen Anne Revival with the use of varying roof forms and a corner turret. As well, an open, covered verandah wraps around the house and it has decorative support columns. Details such as the dentils, palladian window, stained glass windows and narrow, wooden clapboard add interest to this merchant-class home. 24 Circular Road is historically valuable because of its associations with two prominant Newfoundlanders, George W.B Ayre (1879-1945) and Hazen A. Russell (1892- 1983). This residence was the home of George W.B. Ayre, a lawyer who played a prominent role in the development of amateur sports in Newfoundland. He was the founder of the Newfoundland Amateur Athletic Association, May 27, 1921. Hazen A. Russell played an important role in the innovation of the Newfoundland fishing industry. While managing the Fisherman’s Union Trading Company for William F. Coaker, he was the first to pay fisherman cash for their catch. While he was a director at Job Brothers, he campaigned for fresh-frozen processing of fish. Later, as owner of Bonavista Cold Storage Ltd. he introduced the first stern trawler to the fishery. Source: City of St. John’s, Meeting held July 23, 2001.
Character Defining Elements
All those elements of the Queen Anne Revival style of architecture, including: -wooden shingles, turret, varying roof forms, etc.; -narrow wooden clapboard; -shape, size and placement of windows; -original door opening with wood panel door, dentil motif trim, transom and pilasters; – covered, open verandah with support columns; and -coloured patterned glass on windows.
Coloured glass transom and dentil work over first floor windows.
Location and History
City of St. John's
024 Circular Road
1970 - 1970