Anchorage (Ash-McGrath House) is a two-storey, hipped roof house with a sun porch and two rear additions on Ash’s Lane in Trinity, TB, NL. The designation encompases the house, shed, garage, and property.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Registered Heritage Structure
Anchorage (Ash-McGrath House) was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 2020 due to its historic and aesthetic value.
Anchorage (Ash-McGrath House) is built on land once owned by merchant Thomas Dampier. While it is possible Dampier owned the house it is more likely that Richard Ash Sr. had it built between 1831, when he purchased the land, and 1850. Ash, son Richard Jr., and grandson Francis, were accomplished mariners and sea captains. In his time Francis was also a St. John’s landowner and associate of the national elite. Emma Ash, his daughter, married David Baird of Parker & Monroe and welcomed members of such prominent families as the Ayres and Munns to a reception at Anchorage in 1910. After 100 years of Ash ownership the house transferred briefly to Samuel Hefferton, then E.J. Ryan. The McGraths purchased Anchorage around 1949 and owned it for roughly 70 years.
Anchorage (Ash-McGrath House) exhibits an increasingly rare hipped roof form which at one time featured a central chimney. While its bay windows and sun porch would not have been typical features of its construction period they are visible in the earliest available photos and certainly pre-date the 1890s. Additions at the rear — a two-storey, low-slope section and a one-storey steep-roofed porch — speak to the evolution of the property over time.
Anchorage (Ash-McGrath House) is situated in the heart of Trinity, TB, and with its unique sun porch is a landmark within the town. It is contemporaneous with the nearby Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church — Newfoundland and Labrador’s earliest Catholic church — with which it has defined the streetscape of Ash’s Lane for close to 200 years.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador property file “Trinity, TB – Anchorage (Ash-McGrath House) – FPT NL-54”
Character Defining Elements
All original features of the house which relate to the age and style including:
-two-storey wood-frame construction;
-two-storey and one-storey rear additions;
-three-sided bay windows on either side of the house;
-glazed one-storey sun porch on the facade;
-early 2/2 wood windows;
-wood panel doors;
-narrow wood clapboard; and
-size and placement in relation to the site and outbuildings.
All original features of the property and outbuildings which relate to the age and style including:
-shed at the rear with narrow wood clapboard, wood windows and doors, and low-pitch roof;
-garage near the road with narrow wood clapboard, wood windows and doors, large 12-light window facing the house, and low-pitch roof; and
-wood paling fence along the road.
Location and History
Trinity, Trinity Bay
Town of Trinity
10 Ash's Lane
1831 - 1850
Rectangular Long Façade