Colonial Building Provincial Historic Site

St. John's, NL

Provincial Historic Site

Description

Built between 1847 and 1850 by James Purcell, the Colonial Building was the seat of the province’s and colony’s government for over 100 years. Located within a “government district” along Military Road the building is an imposing neoclassical structure which has been serving, in various capacities, as a public government building since 1847. Situated within its original setting on the south-western edge of Bannerman Park the building, the forecourt and its grounds together form a pivotal node in the linkages between the park and adjacent open spaces around the neighboring Government House.

Statement of Significance

Location and History

Location

Similar Heritage Properties