Elliston United Church is a wooden, white building with a steeply pitched roof, arched windows, and a front tower and spire. It is located at 66 Main Street, at the Coles Road intersection, in Elliston, NL. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Municipal Heritage Building, Structure or Land
Elliston United Church, known as the Methodist Church until 1925, has been designated a municipal heritage site by the Town of Elliston due to its historic and aesthetic value. Elliston United Church has historic value as one of the oldest buildings in the community, constructed between 1901 and 1902. It is also historically valuable because its connection to the Methodist and United Church congregations has positioned it over the years as one Elliston’s most spiritually and socially prominent buildings. The Methodist Church was constructed using donations and volunteer labour during the tenure of Reverend Charles Lench, at which time eighty percent of the community’s residents were identified as Methodist. At around the same time, Lench was instrumental in having Bird Island Cove, as Elliston was hitherto known, renamed in honour of missionary Reverend William Ellis, who had served in the area during the previous century. The church was renamed in 1925 when the Methodists joined other denominations to form the United Church of Canada. The bell in the tower of Elliston United Church was donated by Captain Abram Kean, a prominent figure in the history of Newfoundland, especially because of the criticism he incurred in connection with the Newfoundland Disaster of 1914. Eight residents of Elliston were among the 78 who died during that seal hunt tragedy, and the United Church bell earlier donated by Kean tolled for the largest funeral ever held in the community. Elliston United Church has aesthetic value as it exhibits the Gothic Revival Style of architecture, with its steeply pitched roof, steeple, and wooden, pointed arch windows with coloured glass and divisions. It retains its original form, main white colour, and wooden side door. Other notable elements include the building’s overall symmetrical design, including a symmetrical front facade with a protruding entry section with a saddle hip roofline. This is topped by the tower and steeple. The roadside church is one of the largest and tallest buildings in the community, and its visibility makes it a landmark. Source: Town of Elliston Town Council Meeting Minutes of 2007/04/10
Character Defining Elements
All those original, exterior features that reflect the Gothic Revival and vernacular styles of architecture, including: -original form, design, storeys and dimensions of building; -steep roof pitch; -belltower and steeple; -saddle hip roofline of front section; -white colour; -style, dimensions, materials and placement of pointed arch windows; -location of main entrance; -dimensions, materials and location of original side door; -bell donated by Captain Abram Kean; -and location of building within the community.
Location and History
Town of Elliston
066 Main Street
1970 - 1970
Rectangular Short Façade