The Old Church of England Cemetery is located in a grassy clearing off Old Cemetery Road in Leading Tickles, NL. It is a fenced cemetery with mainly white marble gravemarkers. The designation includes all the area of the cemetery defined by fencing at the time of designation.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Municipal Heritage Building, Structure or Land
The Old Church of England Cemetery has been designated a municipal heritage site by the Town of Leading Tickles due to its historic and aesthetic value. The Old Church of England Cemetery has historic value because of its age and because of its connection to the Anglican congregation in the community. It is the oldest known cemetery in Leading Tickles, having been in use by at least 1860, and up until around 1950. The cemetery’s headstones have historic value because their inscriptions record more than twenty local surnames, dates of birth and death, and other genealogical and historical information. The Old Church of England Cemetery has aesthetic value because its appearance evokes the period in which it was in use as a burial ground. Most of the approximately sixty extant headstones are of white marble, mainly in tablet forms, with some column forms, which is typical for cemeteries of the period. These are set amongst the grassy typography of the fenced cemetery land, making the site a distinctive feature of the local cultural landscape, at the top of the “Old Cemetery Road” named for it. Source: Motion #07-66, Town Council Meeting Minutes, Town of Leading Tickles, 2007/07/20
Character Defining Elements
Those elements that define the site as a traditional cemetery, including: -location off Old Cemetery Road; -type, materials and placement of gravemarkers; -natural, grassy topography; -and fenced boundary.
The extant headstones commemorate parishioners with the surnames Alcock, Andrews, Bignell, Chippett, Cox, Earle, Haggat, Haggett, Hancock, Hannam, Kearley, Loveman, Martin, Milsom, Noseworthy, Parsons, Rousal, Rowsell, Simms, Tucker, Ward and White.
Location and History
Town of Leading Tickles
Old Cemetery Road
1970 - 1970