This Century Farm traces its beginnings to Jacob King who began farming in the 1880s in Goat Cove, Conception Bay, near St Philip’s. Here, the family cleared the land by hand and was able to grow vegetables and provide sufficient hay to support a dairy herd. Some years later, the Kings moved to King’s Road, an extension of Bennett’s Road, near Hogan’s Pond. This move gave the family more land and easier access to markets in St John’s. In 1892 Jacob King was killed in an accident involving a runaway horse. In 1902, Jacob’s widow, Isabella, and her children, received the land grant for the farm. Isabella’s son John cleared more land to expand the acreage of the farm and he built new barns. The farm supported the family by producing milk and cream, eggs, and vegetables. In 1930, a nephew, George King, bought 20 acres from his uncle John. He paid $60.00 for the land. George’s son, William, continued on the home farm but expanded onto more land on the Bauline line in the early 1970s. He did this in order to increase his hog operation. Today, Stoney Ridge Farms is run by William’s son Stewart along with his wife Daphne and two children, Spencer and Sophia, the sixth generation on the farm. The farm now has 260 acres. This includes the original land on Bennett’s Road, and additional land on the Bauline Line and Portugal Cove Road. In 1993, Stewart built a provincially licensed slaughterhouse on the Bauline Line for processing their hogs. They have since closed out of hogs but continue to process turkeys. The farm currently produces turkeys, forage, Kentucky Bluegrass sod and brown shell eggs. Stewart King has not only maintained the tradition of the King farm, but he has also expanded it and developed specialized enterprises. He has also played an active role in the Hog Producers’ Association and in the Newfoundland and Labrador Federation of Agriculture as a member of the Board. All images and content copyright Agricultural History Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
The Agricultural History Society of Newfoundland and Labrador is mandated to collect and honour the history of agriculture in this province and to raise public awareness of agriculture as a theme in the story of the province. In 2005 the Society created the Century Farm Award which is meant to identify, recognize and honour any farm family who have continuously farmed the same land for one hundred years or more and who continue to farm it at the present time. This award represents the pioneering agricultural history of the province: some farms supplied the growing town of St. John’s with milk, produce, meat and forage for livery stables; other farms supplied vegetables and butter to fishing communities by coastal boat; and others sent produce and dressed poultry by rail to the new resource towns, such as Grand Falls. Some of the early farmers came directly from the British Isles and others came to Newfoundland from earlier settlements in Nova Scotia. From their early beginnings these farms have survived as productive agricultural businesses by adapting successfully to changing market demands and changing economic circumstances and by adopting innovative technology. They have kept their land in good heart through as many as half a dozen generations. The Century Farm families have earned the Century Farm Award in recognition for their contribution to the history of our province and for their commitment to agriculture in the province’s future.
Location and History
Not specified (Newfoundland)