The Veitch House is a two-storey, detached, wooden home with a mansard roof and dormer windows overlooking the bay at Holyrood. The Veitch Property is located at 5-7 Station Road, on the north side of the road, and the designation includes the house, outbuilding remnants, retaining wall remnants, old cart road remnants and mature trees on the lot.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Municipal Heritage Building, Structure or Land
Veitch Property has been designated a municipal heritage site by the Town of Holyrood due to its historic and aesthetic value. Veitch House has historic value as one of the oldest buildings in Holyrood and because of its association with the Veitch family and local business. The Veitch (also historically known as Wetch or Witch) surname was reportedly established in Holyrood with George Veitch in the 1700s, who settled under the prominent landmark since known as George’s Cove Mountain. Veitch House may have been built by either George’s son John (1801-1866) or by his grandson, Philip Veitch. It was built by the late 1800s, and once had a nearby sister house owned by another Veitch relative. Philip’s son John (Jack) Veitch and wife Annie (O’Neil) Veitch lived in the house for many years. Annie was also from one of Holyrood’s oldest families, and became proprietor of the business known as Veitch’s Hostelry or the Seaview Hotel, which operated from the house during the 1920s-40s. The property’s proximity to the former Holyrood Railway Station was no doubt an advantage in that regard. Annie was known locally for her community work and business sense, and the building hosted special events like wedding receptions. Veitch House has aesthetic value as an example of Second Empire style wooden housing in Newfoundland. It features the characteristic mansard roof pierced with dormer windows. Other structural and aesthetic elements of the building include ornamental eaves brackets, returns and trims, wide cornerboards, substantial door and window trims, ornamental front door surround, and a symmetrical front facade with large windows. It is one of the most intact examples of heritage architecture in Holyrood. The Veitch Property features the distinct remnants of two outbuildings (likely dug cellars), as well as a field stone retaining wall and a former cart road behind the house. This road connected the north side of Holyrood with the main harbour. The large, mature Scots pines, maple trees, linden trees, plum trees and apple trees, and other cultivated deciduous trees underline the age of the property and add to its aesthetic appeal. All of these features combine to make the Veitch Property a distinctive site in Holyrood’s cultural landscape, and it is visible from numerous locations throughout the community. Source: Town of Holyrood town council meeting minutes of 2008/05/13
Character Defining Elements
All those exterior elements connected with the aesthetic value of the heritage house, including: -mansard roof; -painted, narrow wooden clapboard sheathing; -wide cornerboards; -decorative mouldings; -original window openings and styles; -style of ornamental eaves trims and brackets; -style of door surround, including transom window, trims and mouldings; -original style of wooden, panelled main door; -placement and scale of dormer windows; -original storeys and dimensions of the building; -and symmetrical front facade, including placement and size of entryway and windows. And other elements of the property which contribute to its aesthetic and historic value: -remnants of cart road; -mature trees; -rock retaining wall; -and cellar remnants (dug pits).
Location and History
Town of Holyrood
005-007 Station Road
1880 - 1880
Rectangular Long Façade