Waterford Manor is a three storey Queen Anne Revival style building located at 185 Waterford Bridge Road, St. John’s. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
City of St. John's Heritage Building, Structure, Land or Area
Waterford Manor has been designated a Municipal Heritage Buiding because of its historical and architectural values. Historically, Waterford Manor is significant because of the prominent figures associated with it. In 1917, the original owner, Andrew Delgado, sold the house to the Honorable Sir Edgar R. Bowring. Bowring and his family are famous in Newfoundland history for their involvement in the island’s business and political worlds. However, the family is also known for its philanthropy. In 1911 Edgar Bowring made available $30,000 for the establishment of a public park that still bears his family’s name. While Bowring still owned the house, it was used a convalescent home for those men injured in the First World War. In 1929 Bowring sold the house to the Honorable Peter Cashin. Cashin himself is no stranger in Newfoundland history. He served as a minister in the Newfoundland government and used Waterford Manor as his residence. After leaving Newfoundland for a number of years, he returned and became the most outspoken anti-confederate voice in the National Convention debates between 1946 and 1948. In 1936 the Cashins sold the house to Robert B. Job, another prominent businessman and politician. Like Cashin, Job was actively involved in the National Convention and was an avowed anti-confederate. He retained the house until 1946 when he sold it to the government. Architecturally, Waterford Manor is valuable because it was built by noted Newfoundland architect, William F. Butler. Butler, who was responsible for designing many of the larger Queen Anne style homes in the St. John’s region, is well known for his decorative detailing and craftsmanship. Waterford Hall boasts many of the features typical to Queen Anne, most notably its three imposing turrets and attractive main entranceway. Source: city of St. John’s, Meeting held 2006/04/25
Character Defining Elements
All original features which relate to the age and design of the building in the Queen Anne Revival style as interpreted by architect William F. Butler, including: -asymmetrical roofline, turrets, pediments; -narrow wooden clapboard; -band windows; -original windows; -original doors including leaded-glass insert; -exterior decoration including large decorative eaves, finials, eaves brackets, dentils; -location and appearance of pedimented peaked dormers; -moulded trim along windows and doors; -building dimensions and location. All interior features that reflect the age and original design of the building, including: -interior mouldings and mantels; and, -main staircase.
Additional uses of this building included a home for unwanted babies, delinquent girls, orphaned boys, a social services office and an abuse centre office. Currently it is run as a Bed and Breakfast.
Location and History
City of St. John's
185 Waterford Bridge Road
1905 - 1905
Mr. Delgado, William F. Butler