Holy Trinity Anglican Church Registered Heritage Structure
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Registered Heritage Structure
Description of Historic Place
Holy Trinity Anglican Church is a one-and-a-half storey wooden church constructed in the Gothic Style. Built in 1913, to replace a previous church on the site, Holy Trinity Anglican Church is a focal point on the built landscape of Codroy, NL. The designation includes the church building and cemetery on the grounds.
Holy Trinity Anglican Church was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 1993 due to its aesthetic and cultural value.
Holy Trinity Anglican Church has aesthetic value as it is a good example of the Gothic Revival style adapted in a rural setting. This style of architecture was very popular in rural Newfoundland churches during this period. While the church is a simplified version of the Gothic style, the use of typical Gothic elements such as pointed arches and lancet windows is evident throughout. There are also some unusual elements that contribute to the aesthetic value of the building including the interior bracing to protect against the wind and the large dome roofed bell tower at the west end of the church.
Holy Trinity Anglican Church has further aesthetic value for its environmental setting. It is a focal point on the landscape of Codroy. Fishermen are known to use Holy Trinity as a landmark when looking for the fishing grounds.
Holy Trinity Anglican Church has cultural value to the community of Codroy. It was built on the site of a former Anglican church. The first church blew down in a windstorm in 1912 and this church was built in its place. The parishioners of Codroy banded together to replace the church. The new church was built from local materials including mostly hand cut wood. Most of the labour was done by local parishioners and the solid construction of the church is a testament to the quality of craftsmanship during this period. On August 16, 1914, Rev. J.H. Read held the first service in the new church. The grounds of Holy Trinity Anglican Church include a cemetery that is valuable for its association with the people who built this church.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador property file “Codroy - Holy Trinity Church – FPT 1519”
Character Defining Elements
All those interior and exterior elements that are representative of the Newfoundland outport expression of the ecclesiastical Gothic Revival style of architecture, including:
-arched windows, pointed arches in nave, clerestory windows;
-use of local materials;
-bell tower with domed roof at west end of church;
-location of church within community; and,
-location in regards to adjoining cemetery.
Location and History
||1913 - 1913
||Rectangular Short Façade