St. Paul's Anglican Church Registered Heritage Structure
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Registered Heritage Structure
Description of Historic Place
St. Paul’s Anglican Church is a stone Gothic Revival structure located on Cochrane Street in Harbour Grace, NL. The designation includes the building as well as its adjacent graveyard and stone retaining wall.
St. Paul’s Anglican Church was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 1995 because of its aesthetic and cultural value.
St. Paul’s Anglican Church has aesthetic value as it is an excellent example of both stone construction and the introduction of the Gothic Revival style of architecture in Newfoundland. It was constructed in two stages. The nave and tower were built first followed by the transept and apse thirty years later – a typical feature of the early Gothic Revival construction. The addition of the transept and apse was influenced by the Cambridge Camden Society which encouraged the return to the medieval Catholic Church layout. The exterior of St. Paul’s has simple Gothic Revival decoration including pointed arched windows, a pointed arched door and Gothic stained glass. The layout of the church is of the Latin-cross plan, a layout which can also be seen in other churches across Newfoundland. Due to the loss by fire of two previous Anglican churches occupying this site, the congregation decided that they would construct a new church using locally quarried stone. The stone used is still largely intact, as are the original windows and doors. The interior of the building continues to reflect the Gothic Revival style through its decoration and woodworking.
St. Paul’s Anglican Church has further aesthetic value because of its stone retaining wall and graveyard and its landmark status. The stone wall, which outlines the property, is typical of many 19th century Newfoundland churches, and is common in the town of Harbour Grace. A graveyard is also located on the property, adjacent to the church. It was a common practice in Newfoundland for churches to have their graveyard located directly next to the building. These features, along with the sheer size and location of the building, make it a visible landmark in the town.
St. Paul’s Anglican Church has cultural value within the community of Harbour Grace. This church has been a place of worship for both the Church of England and the Anglican Church since 1835. Centrally located in Harbour Grace, it is an important component of the town’s built heritage because of its age, history and religious affiliations.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador property file “Harbour Grace - St. Paul's Anglican Church – FPT 1560”
Character Defining Elements
All original features which relate to the age, construction and Gothic Revival style of the property including:
-Latin-cross layout of church;
-number of storeys;
-steep gable roof;
-original stone work on exterior;
-exterior quoining trim work;
-stone crenellated tower;
-size, style, trim and placement of wooden windows;
-size, style, trim and placement of exterior wooden doors;
-all interior and exterior features (stained glass windows, archways etc.) that are reflective of the Gothic revival style;
-exposed beams on interior;
-dimension, location and orientation of building;
-stone retaining wall on the property, and;
Location and History
||Town of Harbour Grace
||1835 - 1835
Church of England parishioners
||Cruciform with Apse