Loyal Orange Lodge LOL #116 Registered Heritage Structure
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Registered Heritage Structure
Description of Historic Place
The Loyal Orange Lodge LOL #116 is a one storey, wooden lodge building with a pair of pointed towers flanking the main entrance. It is located in Herring Neck, NL. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Loyal Orange Lodge LOL #116 was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 1986 due to its historic, aesthetic and social value.
The Loyal Orange Lodge LOL #116 has historic value because of its association with the Fishermen’s Protective Union (FPU). Loyal Orange Lodge #116 is famously known as the birthplace of the Fisherman's Protective Union (FPU). From this Lodge, in November 1908, William Coaker formed the FPU and launched a crusade that challenged Newfoundland's political, economic and social norms. With the slogan of "To each their own," the FPU spread along the northeast coast, organising fishermen into an influential political force. In an effort to better the lives of Newfoundland fishermen, who were effectively at the mercy of local merchants through the truck system of bartering, Coaker established the FPU with resounding local support. Coaker made great strides with the union based on his persona as “one of the people”, his powerful way of speaking, and his ability to withstand the rigors of winter travel around Newfoundland. The uniting of the fishermen was arduous, difficult and a great achievement. Coaker reached Newfoundlanders in a way no St. John’s politician could, and his step up to politics was a logical next move in furthering his aims of changing the fishery and other aspects of Newfoundland society.
The Loyal Orange Lodge LOL #116 has aesthetic value because it is a unique example of a wooden lodge building. Built in 1904 by Thomas Blanford and lodge members and featuring two large side towers, it apparently was meant to resemble the Basilica of St. John the Baptist in St. John’s. The towers on either side of the entrance were cut down in 1931. The pointed roofs on the towers are topped with small finials, while the main entrance is ornamented with a stained glass transom and large entablature. The peaked, triangular windows lend a Gothic feel to the structure while the building itself is low and sturdy-looking. Loyal Orange Lodge LOL #116 is an important component of the built landscape in Herring Neck and has been used as a landmark by fishermen to locate their fishing grounds.
The Loyal Orange Lodge LOL #116 has social value because it was built as the meeting hall for the local Orangemen. It also served the needs of the larger community, acting as a town hall for public and private functions.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador property file “Herring Neck - Loyal Orange Lodge LOL #116 – FPT 1570”
Character Defining Elements
All elements that define the building's Gothic Revival design including:
-One storey, wooden structure;
-Pair of towers with polygonal, peaked roofs;
-Transom with stained glass;
-Wooden plank door;
-Narrow, wooden clapboard.
Location and History
||1904 - 1904
||Rectangular Short Façade