Arnold Morris House Registered Heritage Structure
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Registered Heritage Structure
Description of Historic Place
The Arnold Morris House is a wooden, two storey vernacular style house with a low pitched roof located in St. George's, NL. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Arnold Morris House was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 1998 because of its architectural value.
Architecturally, this house represents the methods by which Newfoundland architects incorporated various building styles into their own homes. Instead of following the simple traditional style, the builders of this house, James Morris and Mr. Colson, constructed the exterior using decorative mouldings, but kept the rest of the house quite simple. Interestingly, this house has both a summer kitchen and a winter kitchen, an unusual feature in Newfoundland homes. During the Second World War, St. George's experienced an economic boost which allowed the residents of the area to update and improve their houses. Several changes took place on the Arnold Morris House during this time, including the addition of a glassed in veranda, which has several decorative transom windows, and multiple interior upgrades. Architectural changes such as these are important because they reflect the financial boost that the war had on Newfoundland. In many cases, examples such as the Arnold Morris House no longer exist due to constant modernization.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador property file “St. George's - Arnold Morris House – FPT 1619”
Character Defining Elements
All elements that define the building's vernacular interpretation design including:
- elaborate exterior decorations including large window mouldings; door mouldings, and transom window above doorway;
- low pitched gable roof;
- narrow wooden clapboard;
- glass veranda;
- decorative transom windows in porch;
- summer and winter kitchens;
- all interior features original to building.
Location and History
||Town of St. George's
||336 Main Street
||1904 - 1909
James Morris and Mr. Colson
||20th Century Vernacular
||Rectangular Long Façade