The New House, 335 Southside Road Registered Heritage Structure
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Registered Heritage Structure
Description of Historic Place
The New House is a three storey wooden residential duplex located at 335 Southside Road, St. John’s, NL. Built between 1876-1878, it is a fine example of Second Empire design. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The New House was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 1994 because of its aesthetic, historic and cultural value.
The New House has aesthetic value as it is an excellent representative example of Second Empire style housing, a type which gained great popularity in St. John’s during the mid 1800s. The concave-curved mansard roof with pedimented dormer windows, the decorative brackets under the eaves, and elaborate pilasters and entablatures on the front facade are elements characteristic of the Second Empire Style as it appears in St. John's. The house is also a fine example of the craftsmanship of master builder William Campbell, who is more well-known for his work on George Street United Church.
The New House has historic value because of its association with the White family and their descendants. Edward White and his sons made a significant contribution to the fishing industry in Newfoundland. They were sealing captains and the elder White was also a shipbuilder who pioneered the use of large wooden steamers in the seal fishery. Edward White also made contributions to the political and social development of the colony, serving as a member of the Legislative Council from 1861-1885 and minister without portfolio from 1882-1885. During his tenure in politics, White introduced the first sealing legislation that included in its provisions a fixed date for the opening of the seal-fishing season. One of the best-known residents of the New House was Newfoundland scholar and educator George M. Story, Edward White’s great-grandson. His collaborative effort, The Dictionary of Newfoundland English, remains a definitive study of Newfoundland culture.
The New House has cultural value as it stands as a physical reminder of a particular time and place. When the house was constructed, Southside Road existed as a mixture of fishing and boat building premises situated in close proximity to a small number of impressive homes. While some of these homes still remain, modern changes to the waterside have altered the landscape of the area. Buildings such as The New House are reminders of this earlier time.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador property file “St. John's - The New House 335-337 Southside Road – FPT 1644/1645”
Character Defining Elements
All elements that define the building's Second Empire design including:
-number of storeys;
-chimney style and placement;
-narrow wooden clapboard;
-wooden corner boards;
-size, style, trim and placement of wooden windows;
-entablature over window on first storey main façade;
-size, style, trim and placement of skylight in rear mansard roof;
-size, style, trim and placement of wooden storm windows;
-size, style, trim and placement of wooden exterior doors;
-entablature and pilasters at main entrance;
-size, style, trim and placement of transom window on entrance;
-pedimented dormer placement and style;
-dormer window size, style, trim and placement;
-stone wall foundation, and;
-dimension, location and orientation of building.
Location and History
||City of St. John's
||335 Southside Road
||1876 - 1878
||Rectangular Short Façade