Tobin Building Registered Heritage Structure
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Registered Heritage Structure
Description of Historic Place
The Tobin Building is a wooden four storey structure built in Second Empire style. Constructed in 1892, it is located at 214 Duckworth Street, St. John’s, NL. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Tobin Building was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 1988 due to its aesthetic, cultural and historic value.
The Tobin Building has aesthetic value as it is one of the best surviving examples of Second Empire style commercial/residential architecture constructed in St. John's following the Great Fire of 1892. This style incorporates particular exterior design details, including a concave-curved mansard roof, decorative eaves brackets, a symmetrical facade and a traditional storefront. Interior design elements are rather intricate as well; a characteristic of Second Empire style. Despite many changes in ownership, the building retains its original character. The bay and dormer windows remain unaltered and the structure retains the original wooden shingles and wrought iron cresting. The interior's original tin ceiling and embossed tin walls also remain intact.
The Tobin Building has cultural value as it is a physical reminder of the rebuilding of St. John's after the Great Fire of 1892. The building was constructed in 1894 for James J. Tobin to use as a retail store and a family residence. The first floor was used to sell wines, spirits, tobacco and groceries, while the upper levels were used as the family home. This close physical arrangement of business and home was common in St. John’s, particularly in the downtown area. While many of these duel purpose homes still exist, the family quarters have mostly been converted into apartments or storage space.
The Tobin Building has historical value because of its association with the Tobin family and their contributions to the economic, political and social growth of Newfoundland. Three generations of Tobin’s who lived and worked from this location made great contributions not only to business but to politics, as well. Michael, who brought his nephew James J. Tobin into the retail business, served as Member of the house of Assembly for Placentia and St. Mary's as did James. James’ son John M. (Jack) Tobin was involved in politics as a Member of the house of Assembly for St. John's East Extern from 1928 to 1932 and as a St. John's municipal councillor from 1937 to 1941. John Tobin also had a lifelong involvement in sports in Newfoundland, as a hockey player and official, as an oarsman, coxswain and coach with the annual St. John's regatta and as secretary of the Newfoundland Hockey League for 50 years. In the 1940s he began broadcasting his radio program, “Over the Blueline with Tobin,” helping to popularize hockey in Newfoundland. John Tobin was posthumously inducted into the Newfoundland and Labrador Sports Hall of Fame in 1977.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador property file “St. John's - Tobin Building - FPT 1657”
Character Defining Elements
All elements that define the building's Second Empire design including:
-return on eaves;
-eaves brackets and dentils;
-number of storeys;
-wooden shingle sheathing;
-window size, style, trim and placement;
-dormer size, style and placement;
-dormer window size, style, trim and placement;
-size, style, trim and placement of two storey bay on left gable end;
-size, style, trim and placement of windows in bay;
-size, style, trim and placement of exterior doors;
-location and style of porch on left gable end;
-size, style, trim and placement of windows and door in porch;
-cresting on porch on left gable end;
-chimney style and placement;
-original features of the store front including recessed entry, transom window over door, display windows, pilasters dividing windows, cornice and decorative base panels;
-dimension, location and orientation of building; and,
-all original interior features including pressed tin work.
Location and History
||City of St. John's
||214 Duckworth Street
||1894 - 1894
||Rectangular Short Façade