International Pulp and Paper Company Staff House Registered Heritage Structure
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Registered Heritage Structure
Description of Historic Place
The International Pulp and Paper Company Staff House, Deer Lake, NL is a two storey, timber frame building located on 2 Poplar Road, Deer Lake, NL. Built between 1923 and 1924, the designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The International Pulp and Paper Company Staff House was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 2002 because of its historic and aesthetic value.
The International Pulp and Paper Company Staff House has historic value because of its association with the early days of large scale settlement in Deer Lake and industrial development on the west coast of the island. While during the mid 1800s some loggers and trappers had made homes in the area around what is now Deer Lake, large scale settlement did not occur until the Newfoundland Power and Paper Company began construction of a hydro-electric power generator on the site in 1922. Between 1923 - 1925, three thousand men were employed in the developing community constructing the plant, dams and canals - necessitating the building of such structures as the Staff House. Acquired by the International Pulp and Paper Company upon its completion in 1925, the power plant provided much of the electricity for the growing Corner Brook paper mill. Deer Lake continued to grow as industrial labour needs increased and workers migrated to the new community to fulfill the demand.
The International Pulp and Paper Company Staff House has further historic value because of its later use as a Masonic Lodge, specifically Lodge Humber #1475, Roll of the Grand Lodge of Scotland. It was first used as a lodge building in 1952.
The International Pulp and Paper Company Staff House has aesthetic value as it is a good regional example of planned company housing. Built between 1923 and 1924 as a staff house for employees of the Newfoundland Power and Paper Company Limited, the building is a worthy example of the type of staff quarters built by industrial enterprises in Newfoundland and Labrador during the first half of the twentieth century.
The International Pulp and Paper Company Staff House has further aesthetic value due to its placement within the community of Deer Lake. The structure stands alone in an open space with views across Deer Lake and its environs. It is located on a main thoroughfare in the town and is in close proximity to other significant structures such as the power plant and to recreational areas.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador property file “Deer Lake - International Pulp and Paper Company Staff House – FPT 1735”
Character Defining Elements
All those exterior features that are reflective of the early twentieth century institutional design and construction of the building, including:
-number of storeys;
-narrow wooden clapboard;
-wooden corner boards;
-original window size, style, trim and placement;
-original size, style, trim and placement of exterior doors;
-original style, size and location of portico on front facade;
-original style, size and location of veranda on right façade;
-dimension, location and orientation of building.
Location and History
||Town of Deer Lake
||002 Poplar Road
||1923 - 1924
Newfoundland Power and Paper Company Limited
||Rectangular Long Façade