St. George's Anglican Church Registered Heritage Structure
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Registered Heritage Structure
Description of Historic Place
St. George’s Anglican Church is a Gothic Revival church constructed in 1876-1877 under the episcopacy of Bishop Edward Feild by local builder George C. Jerrett. St. George’s Church is located on a hill overlooking Brigus, NL. The designation includes the building and the surrounding grounds including two cemeteries bound by the stone retaining wall.
St. George’s Anglican Church was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 2004 due to its aesthetic and historic value.
St. George’s Anglican Church has aesthetic value as it is an excellent example of the introduction of the Gothic Revival style of architecture in Newfoundland. St. George’s Church is associated with local builder George C. Jerrett. An example of a “high” Anglican church, the elaborate design of the church was not typical in Newfoundland during the Victorian Period. This church is one of the few-remaining examples of a large outport church built in the era of great Newfoundland Anglicanism.
The nave and transept layout of the church is in contrast to many of the more simple churches built in Newfoundland during this period. The features of this church are largely original including the gothic stained glass windows, dry stone foundation and timber framing that are representative of the quality of craftsmanship during this period.
St. George’s Church is a defining point on the Brigus landscape. Situated on a hill, the Church is visible from both land and sea.
St. George’s Anglican Church has historic value as it has been the centre of the Anglican community in Brigus since its erection in 1876. The church was constructed on the site of a previous Anglican church and the cornerstone of the original church is incorporated into the current church. St. George’s Anglican Church is historically valuable due to its associations with Bishop Edward Feild. Bishop Feild had an important influence on religious, political and educational life of Newfoundland during his episcopacy. The introduction of the Gothic Revival style was the architectural expression of Bishop Feild’s Tractarian views. St. George’s Church is representative of one of a number of High Anglican churches commissioned by Bishop Feild.
The grounds of the church include two 19th century graveyards that predate the existing church and which are delimited by a stone retaining wall and cast iron gate. These graveyards are valuable due to their association with the people who built both the church and the community of Brigus.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador property file “Brigus - St. George’s Anglican Church - FPT 2049”
Character Defining Elements
All features of a High Anglican church which are representative of the Gothic Revival style of architecture, including:
- interior and exterior elements such as stained glass windows, clerestory windows, etc.
- wood construction and interior open timber framing;
- original interior woodwork on pews, pulpit and choir seats;
- original stone foundation and cornerstone;
- the style and layout of the interior of the church including the rounded apse behind the altar at the east end of the church; and
- general height, massing and dimensions of the building.
All those features of the surrounding grounds which speak to the environmental and landmark value of the historic place, including:
- free standing bell tower;
- stone retaining wall and original cast iron gate;
- intact 19th century graveyards on North and South sides of the church;
- the location, visibility and context of the church within the Town of Brigus; and
- the site's continued use as a meeting place for the community.
Location and History
||Town of Brigus
||1876 - 1877
George C. Jerrett