Aunt Mary's House Registered Heritage Structure (demolished)
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Registered Heritage Structure
Description of Historic Place
Aunt Mary’s House is a two storey, wooden framed house with a mansard roof located in Lockston, NL. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Aunt Mary’s House was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 1997 due to its aesthetic and historic value.
Aunt Mary’s House has aesthetic value because it is a good example of the regional interpretation of the second empire style which was popular in Newfoundland during the early 20th century. Though this house belonged to one of the more prosperous families in Trinity Bay, the exterior decoration is simple, as is typical of many outport buildings.
Aunt Mary’s House has historic value because of the people and activities associated with it. The original residents, Arthur and Mary Locke, owned and operated a local saw mill on the Lockston River - which flows into the Northwest Arm of Trinity Bay. Well-known throughout the community, this house became known as “Aunt Mary’s House.”
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador property file “Lockston - Aunt Mary's House – FPT 236”
Character Defining Elements
All original features which relate to the age and style of the house including:
- wooden frame
- Mansard roof
- Shaped window decoration
- Simplicity of exterior decoration
- Original windows
- Original doors including coloured glass
- Location next to water
Location and History
||1918 - 1918
||Rectangular Long Façade