Second Anglican Cemetery Municipal Heritage Site
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Municipal Heritage Building, Structure or Land
Description of Historic Place
The Second Anglican Cemetery is a fenced cemetery located off Highliner Drive in the older section of Arnold’s Cove, south of the First Anglican Cemetery. It contains more than fifty gravemarkers, mainly headstones of marble or granite. The designation includes all land within the fence surrounding the cemetery and the grave markers within it.
The Second Anglican Cemetery has been designated a municipal heritage site by the Town of Arnold’s Cove because of its historic, aesthetic, and spiritual values.
The Second Anglican Cemetery has historic value as the town’s second-oldest Anglican cemetery. It was established in 1915, consecrated by Bishop William Charles White on August 28, 1919, and used for burials into the 1970s. Bishop White was the first native-born bishop for the Anglican Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador.
The cemetery also has historic value because its monuments and extant headstones contain historic and genealogical type information, serving as a community record on the landscape.
The Second Anglican Cemetery has aesthetic value because of the traditional type of gravemarkers used. Most are comprised of marble and granite, and they have tablet or column forms. Their placement in the cemetery, set in the natural groundcover of the fenced land, evokes the twentieth century period during which it was used for burials. It is a distinctive landscape feature located along Arnold’s Cove’s main road.
The Second Anglican Cemetery has spiritual value due to its association with the Anglican religion in Arnold’s Cove. The cemetery represents the religious beliefs of the community.
Source: Town of Arnold's Cove Regular Council Meeting Motion 146/2008 October 29, 2008.
Character Defining Elements
Those elements which contribute to the site’s historic and aesthetic value, including:
-style, placement and materials of gravemarkers;
-inscriptions of gravemarkers;
-natural vegetation of groundcover;
-existence of fencing to contain the site;
-and location of site.
Notes of Interest
Surnames on the extant gravemarkers at this cemetery include Adams, Anderson, Bolt, Boutcher, Brinson, Brinston, Chick, Cumby, Gilbert, Guy, Holden, Hollett, Hull, Hynes, Kirby, Lockyer, Masters, Peach, Slade and Warren.
Surnames such as Bolt, Cumby, Lockyer, Masters and Slade on the gravemarkers indicate people who moved from the islands of Placentia Bay during the Resettlement Programme administered by the Newfoundland Government in the 1960s to move residents from outlying communities into growth centres like Arnold’s Cove.
Location and History
||Town of Arnold's Cove
||1915 - 1915