Campbell House Registered Heritage Structure
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Registered Heritage Structure
Description of Historic Place
The Campbell House is a two-and-a-half-storey 19th century, steep gable style house located in Trinity, Bonavista Bay. The designation is confined to the property.
The Campbell House was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 1991 because of its architectural, historical and environmental values.
Architecturally, the Campbell House is significant because it is a good example of the upper-class outport structures built in the mid 19th century. Built sometime in the 1840s, this house was fully studded, a common construction practice in the wood-rich region. With a steep gable roof and symmetrical front façade, this style of house was widespread throughout Newfoundland for much of the 19th century. Though simplistic in style, this large, two-and-a-half storey house with back linhay is impressive, reflecting the fact that it was constructed for a prominent member of the community.
Historically, this house is significant because of its associations with James Campbell. Campbell, who was originally from Wexford, Ireland, had this house built after wedding a local woman, Mary Coleman. During his time in Trinity, Campbell was in charge of the commercial school. According to the records of people who knew him, Campbell was an excellent teacher and possessed a fair knowledge of French and Latin, but an excellent knowledge of mathematics and navigation. One record called Campbell "one of the most capable teachers of navigation that Newfoundland ever possessed."
Environmentally, this house is of value due to its location in town. Situated in such a manner that it is visible throughout the community, this house sits among two other houses of the exact style. This is the last cluster of houses in Trinity existing in its original context.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador property file “Trinity - Campbell House – FPT 100”
Character Defining Elements
All original features which relate to the upper-class outport architecture of the building including:
- Steep gable roof
- Narrow wooden clapboard
- Symmetry of front façade
- Full studded construction
- Size, shape and location of windows
- Size, shape and location of doors
- Size shape and location of peaked enclosed porch on front façade
- Size, shape and location of linhay
- Lack of exterior decoration typical of 19th century outport houses
Elements relating to environment including:
- Dimensions and location of house in relation to the other similar buildings in the area
- Green space and garden surrounding house
Location and History
||Trinity, Trinity Bay
||Town of Trinity
||1840 - 1840
||19th Century Vernacular
||Rectangular Long Façade