007 Plank Road is a three storey concrete commercial building located on a small street in the west end of St. John’s. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
City of St. John's Heritage Building, Structure, Land or Area
007 Plank Road has been municipally designated because of its aesthetic value. Built in 1931, this building was constructed to be a paint factory for the company of R.A. Templeton Ltd, which operates today from another location. 007 Plank Road is built with solid concrete walls and has steel columns and beams with wood joist floors. This building has a low-pitched gable roof and a freight shaft occupying one corner of the main façade with the inscription “A.D. 1931” near the top. Since it was originally constructed as a factory during the pre-electricity days, this building has many windows, which allowed maximum light during the day. In particular, the main façade features large plate glass windows on the first floor, and the second and third floors have three bays. Another window is located near the right side of the main façade, located between the second and third floors. A regular fenestration of windows can be seen along the sides of the building, and there are two entrances into the building, one at the right of the front façade, the other in the middle of the side façade. The windows and doors are sparsely decorated with simple concrete sills and there is no other ornamentation. Source: City of St. John’s Archives, Railway Coastal Museum – Municipally Designated properties: file 007 Plank Road.
Character Defining Elements
All those elements that define the commercial factory uses of the building, including: -low pitch gable roof; -concrete construction with steel columns and beams, and wood joist floors; -freight shaft with inscription “A.D. 1931” -general massing and three storey construction; -fenestration of windows; -number, size and openings of windows and doors; and -location and orientation.
Original factory had a freight elevator which travelled inside the shaft located at the left gable end. The elevator has been removed and the space is currently used for electrical works.
Location and History
City of St. John's
007 Plank Road, St. John's
1931 - 1931