The Gravesite of Cow Head’s First Settlers is located on a narrow strip of land at 023 Cow’s Head Road, Cow Head, NL. The designation includes the gravesite and surrounding property.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Municipal Heritage Building, Structure or Land
The Gravesite of Cow Head’s First Settlers has been designated a municipal heritage site by the Town of Cow Head because of its historic value.
John Charles and Mary Payne were the first settlers of the community of Cow Head, and they arrived in Newfoundland in the early 1800s from England. East Burin was their winter base and they travelled by boat each spring to Cow Head for the fishing season. In autumn they moved back to East Burin to overwinter. In 1816, on their way to or from Cow Head a son Charles was born. After Charles’ birth, John and Mary decided to winter in Cow Head and made their home in nearby Tuckers Cove. The Gravesite of Cow Head’s First Settlers is the resting place of matriarch of this family. A lone headstone for Mary Payne remains as the only marker on this site, and it reads “In memory of Mary Payne who died….age 69 years.”
Source: Town of Cow Head, passed by a motion of council at a meeting held on February 17, 2003.
Character Defining Elements
All those elements that reflect the early nineteenth century gravesite, including:
-the inscribed headstone, and;
-the open space surrounding the gravesite.
Location and History
Town of Cow Head
023 Cow's Head Road
1816 - 1870