The Old Anglican Cemetery is located on a hillside at 014 Shore Road in the community of Woody Point, NL. The designation encompasses the gravesites surrounded by the fence.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Municipal Heritage Building, Structure or Land
The Old Anglican Cemetery has been designated a municipal heritage site by the Town of Woody Point due to its historic value.
The historic value of this cemetery lies in its association with the founding settlers of Woody Point, who are laid to rest here. Woody Point was first settled in 1849 by John Roberts and his wife, Emma and their four children. They are buried in this cemetery. Another noteworthy early settler was Solomon Wilton, who donated his land for the construction of the Church of the Epiphany Anglican Church, which stands today. Wilton’s grave is also in this cemetery. The oldest headstone found in the cemetery dates from 1846 and according to church records there are approximately two hundred people laid to rest there, however less than fifty grave markers can be seen. The last burial for this cemetery took place in 1913.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador file number 1802 – Woody Point.
Character Defining Elements
All those elements that define the early cemetery, including:
-headstones, including those with inscriptions;
-fence surrounding the gravesites; and;
-location, orientation and dimensions.
Location and History
Town of Woody Point
014 Shore Road
1846 - 1913