The Old Church of England Cemetery (also referred to as the Old Anglican Cemetery) is located on North Street, northwest of the Roman Catholic Church in Parson’s Pond, NL. The fenced cemetery contains approximately twenty, mainly marble headstones on level, grassy terrain and is surrounded by open field. The designation includes the fenced area of cemetery land.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Municipal Heritage Building, Structure or Land
The Old Church of England Cemetery has been designated a municipal heritage site by the Town of Parson’s Pond due to its historic and aesthetic value. The Old Church of England Cemetery has historic value because it is the oldest known Anglican cemetery in Parson’s Pond. It appears to date from at least 1880 and stayed in use until at least the 1930s. The cemetery’s headstone inscriptions have value as historic records, containing epitaphs and genealogical information such as familial relationships and dates of birth and death for deceased with surnames Payne, Blanchard, Verge and Caines. The cemetery is considered notable locally because of the high proportion of infants and children buried there, as recorded on their headstones. The Old Church of England Cemetery has aesthetic value because of its traditional appearance. It is surrounded by white-painted, paling fencing and contains mainly white marble, tablet style gravemarkers and several instances of low iron grave plot fencing set in its grassy topography. These elements are typical of the period during which the cemetery was in use for burials. Source: Motion 43, Town of Parson’s Pond Town Council Meeting Minutes of 2007/05/14
Character Defining Elements
All those elements relating to the age and traditional appearance of the cemetery: -preponderance of white marble gravemarkers; -iron grave plot fencing; -grassy topography; -and white-painted paling fence at perimeter.
Location and History
Town of Parson's Pond
023C North Street
1880 - 1935