The Roman Catholic Parish Cemetery is a small cemetery located on Bennett’s Lane in Harbour Grace, NL. The designation is confined to the boundaries of the cemetery delineated by a fence.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Municipal Heritage Building, Structure or Land
The Roman Catholic Parish Cemetery has been designated a municipal heritage site by the Town of Harbour Grace due to its spiritual value.
The Roman Catholic Parish Cemetery, located next to the Rising Sun Loyal Orange Lodge, dates to circa 1799, and was no longer used by 1856. With headstones almost completely eroded by time and weather, this ancient burial ground still commands respect and an air of reverence. Huge markers reveal weathered, elaborate homage’s to those interred in the cemetery grounds, but today they stand precariously among the heaving ground and foliage. A single sign stands near the gateway which simply says, “Heritage Site, Oldest Known Grave Stone, 1802”. The largeness of the headstones and their shapes and designs reveal the importance placed on this cemetery by the Roman Catholic community of 19th century Harbour Grace, and its subsequent designation as a municipal heritage site shows the importance of this cemetery to the present community.
Source: Passed by a motion of Harbour Grace Town Council, held January 10, 2006
Character Defining Elements
All those elements that define the early nineteenth century cemetery, including:
-all remaining grave markers, including their sizes and shapes;
-organic pattern of graves, and:
-location, orientation and dimensions.
Location and History
Town of Harbour Grace
1799 - 1856