The Stone Barn is a two-and-a-half storey, rectangular stone building with a gambrel roof located in Brigus, NL. Built in 1825 for local businessman Charles Cozen, the Stone Barn is the only remaining stone building in Brigus. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
Registered Heritage Structure
The Stone Barn was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in 1986 due to its historic, aesthetic and cultural value.
The Stone Barn has historic value for its association with Charles Cozen. The Stone Barn was built for prominent 19th century Newfoundlander Charles Cozen in 1825. Cozen was the owner of one of the largest fishing operations in Newfoundland and Labrador, with stations extending from Placentia Bay to Northern Labrador. Cozen was also a politician and was elected to Newfoundland’s first House of Assembly in 1832 as a representative for the Brigus area.
The Stone Barn has aesthetic value as a good example of 19th century stone construction. The Stone Barn, which was once part of a multi-building complex is now the only remaining stone building in Brigus. The Stone Barn has cultural value in Brigus for the range of local speculations associated with its conversion from a residence to a barn. One particular local oral tradition says that the Stone Barn was converted to a barn shortly after the suicide of Dr. Robert Dobie in 1837 because no one would live in a house where a suicide had occurred.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador property file “Brigus – Stone Barn – FPT 1438”
Character Defining Elements
All those architectural features that speak to the age and style of the building, including:
-number of storeys;
-size, style, trim and placement of wooden windows;
-size, style, trim and placement of exterior wooden doors, and;
-dimension, location and orientation of building.
Location and History
Town of Brigus
1825 - 1825
Rectangular Long Façade