Sutherland Place is a 3 storey wooden multi-dwelling house located at 010-020 King’s Bridge Road in St. John’s, NL. This designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Statement of Significance
Formal Recognition Type
City of St. John's Heritage Building, Structure, Land or Area
Sutherland Place has been designated a Municipal Heritage Structure by the City of St. John’s because of its aesthetic and historic values.
Sutherland Place has aesthetic value as a fine example of a large double dwelling in the Victorian Gothic style. This style is reflected in the steep peaked roof, bow windows and the elaborate decorative balustrade, finials and eaves brackets. The property is enhanced by one of the finest examples of cast iron railing in the city, a type of railing which seems to be rapidly disappearing.
Sutherland Place has historic value for its connection to prominent businessmen and politicians. The house was built for William Pitts on land purchased from the Church of England Diocesan Synod. In 1883, Pitts began building the double house for himself and his son, the Hon. James S. Pitts, but the father died in 1884 before it was completed. Both men were prominent businessmen, politicians and philanthropists. William Pitt ran a successful mercantile and commission firm. His son James Pitts joined his father’s business and helped to expand his interests. James Pitts was appointed to the Legislative Council in 1883 and served as a Minister without Portfolio in four governments from 1888 to 1909. James lived in the north side of the house and rented the south side. From 1884 to 1918 his tenants were the Outerbridge family. Sir Leonard Outerbridge, the second Lieutenant-Governor of Newfoundland after confederation, watched the Great Fire of 1892 from a bedroom window on the top floor. Another Lieutenant-Governor of Newfoundland, the Hon. Gordon A. Winter, lived in the south house as a boy. In 1924 the house was purchased by Sir Edgar Hickman and was later turned into apartments.
Source: City of St. John’s Archives, unnumbered property file, St. John’s – Sutherland Place
Character Defining Elements
All elements that define the building’s Victorian Gothic design including:
-steep gable roof;
-decorative eaves brackets, finials and cresting;
-narrow wood clapboard;
-solid wood main façade doors with transom;
-the placement, shape and size of windows;
-original 2 main entrances in front façade with covered/open porches;
-2 side doors with covered/open porches;
-window and door trim;
-3 pot red brick chimneys, and;
-size and dimensions of building.
Location and History
City of St. John's
010-020 King's Bridge Road
1883 - 1884
Rectangular Long Façade